Friday, June 7, 2013

Elephant quilt!

My sister had her baby!  Hooray!

Now I can finally show off the elephant quilt I made for darling baby Leah.  =)


Close up of the embroidered name.

Good thing they didn't do a last minute name change! =)

Here is a close up of the binding and the backing of the quilt.


Close up of the appliqued elephant.  I just used a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine.  I hand embroidered the eye (with woven wheel stitch) and the tail (simple back stitch). It's hard to tell from the picture, but I also hand quilted around the elephants, so I didn't have to place a tie in the center of the block.


Here is the little elephant friend I made with the scraps.  I ended up doing a patchwork because I had so few scraps left!  Dang my mathematical brain and buying only the exact about of fabric I needed! =)  Check out this post for a tutorial to make your own elephant!


I'm so sad I can't be there to snuggle with sweet baby Leah!  At least she has my quilt to snuggle with! 

3 comments:

  1. WOW! that's awesome! I will definitely make one of those. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! We have an elephant lover in our house. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute and now I want to make a larger version of that quilt for my 9yo, also named Leah and loves Elephants like her Grt. Grandma for whom she is named.

    ReplyDelete